5 Fun and Simple Team-Building Activities
As an employer, you should know your company’s success depends greatly on the success of your employees. Most likely, you’re going to have a very diverse group of people working for you. This diversity can lead to minor, or even major, road blocks in your company’s productivity. Why? Because each of your employees has a different personality, and each of them have different ways of getting things done. In order to prevent those road blocks, or even just tension amongst the office, you need to find ways to help your employees perform efficiently as a team.
Here are some fun, effective, and not too embarrassing team-building activities to help promote coalition in the workplace:
- This game focuses on creative problem solving and collaboration skills. You will need twenty uncooked spaghetti noodles, one roll of masking tape, one yard of sting, and one marshmallow for each group. The goal of this activity is to see which team can build the tallest tower using only the supplies given; the marshmallow has to be on top of every tower, and each tower must be able to stand on its own for at least five seconds.
2.) Community Service
- Although it’s not a game, rounding up your team to participate in community service together is an excellent way to encourage team bonding and to break the ice without putting anyone at risk of embarrassment. Also, it’s always a nice treat for everyone to get a day outside of the office. Not to mention… You’re helping out in your community! And not only are you getting a breath of fresh air while racking up good karma, but community service also provides a great opportunity to gain company exposure.
3.) Campfire Wall
- Another team bonding/ice breaker activity is the Campfire Wall. All you need are some post-it notes. Write a few work-related topics on sticky notes, such as “My first day” or “Work travel”, and post them on a wall. Gather your employees together and have everyone share a personal story from one of the topics given. This allows your team to laugh and bond over shared experiences.
4.) Scavenger Hunt
- Scavenger Hunts are classic team-building activities, mainly encouraging collaboration skills. All you’ll need is a set course and a series of clues, both of which you can either make up on your own or do some Googling around for.
- Another activity for collaboration skills is the Paper Plane Contest. Split your employees up into groups and give them each a piece of card stock to construct a paper plane. Before the building begins, show them a variety of different airplane designs. The teams will then decide which design they think will fly the farthest, and then construct that design. Once everyone is finished, fly the planes one by one down a long hallway and measure each landing distance from the point of take off. Whichever group’s plane flies the farthest, wins.
Working as a team creates a synergy; the sum is greater than the individual parts. This is why it’s crucial for your business to maintain unity and cooperation in the workplace. Team-building activities are an effective way to bring your employees together.
The difference between success and failure is a great team.
About the Author: My name is Danielle Shaw and I am currently a college student majoring in journalism. I am the proud owner of a Pitbull/Labrador mix named Riley and we live together in South Florida. Writing has always been a passion of mine since I was a child and I am excited to be making a career out of it.